April 23, 2013

Delicious Low Fat High Fibre Banana Muffins!

I love baking - and one of my favorite treats to bake is Banana Bread!  I learned recently that I could freeze overripe bananas to use for cooking later - now my freezer is half full of discount overripe banana.  Yum!  I peel them first and measure them out to 1 cup portions for easy baking.

Oh yes, I'm American so I bake with cups - for all my UK followers, a cup is about the size of a man-fist.  To be honest banana bread is very forgiving so I estimate ingredients anyways.

Ingredients:
1 cup flour
3/4 cup oats
1 tsb baking powder
1 tsb baking soda
1 tsb cinnamon
3/4 cup fibre one
3/4 cup milk
2 eggs
1 cup mashed overripe banana
1/2 cup brown sugar (optional)
1/2 cup almonds or nuts (optional)

Here's how it goes!

1) Combine fiber one and milk.  It seems weird, just do it.  Then put aside.
2) in a seperate bowl, combine all the dry ingrediants, except sugar, which for some reason goes in the wet ingrediants, even though it's arguably dry.
3) In a third bowl, combine egg with defrosted mashed overripe banana and sugar (sugar is optional, I have a sweet tooth but I've made it without sugar before).
4) Add chopped nuts if you want to the dry ingredients (I used almonds).
5) Add the soaked fibre one and milk to the wet ingredients and mix thoroughly   The fiber one should almost disintegrate into the mix.
6) Mix the wet and dry ingredients together, but forget to add the cinnamon and chuck it on after but right before you take a photo.  Don't overmix but be sure there's no dry ingredients left, mixture may be a bit runny but that makes for fluffier banana bread.  Thicker mix means chewier bread. All bread is delicious.
 7) Fill muffins 3/4 full with batter.  Bake at gas mark 4/ 350f / 180c for 22-25 minutes.
8) Remove from oven when the edges are a bit brown.
9)  once out of oven leave them in the pan for another 5 minutes before transferring them to a cooling rack.  Or a plate.  Or your mouth.

No comments:

Post a Comment